Friday, July 25, 2008

Craig to Kremmling and Kremmling to Winter Park




Yesterday, we biked from Craig to Kremmling. The ride was absolutely amazing despite its humongous Rabbit Ears Pass. The route was 95 miles and took us through the mountains. There was a tough headwind, but working together in a pace line you could pull through. Our team consisted of my dad, Tyler B., Nathan Beach, and myself. we were rolling along fine until a clanking noise arose and I discovered a broken spoke in my rear wheel. So my dad and I stopped, the others we waved on, and attempted to repair the damage. Well, it would've been done, however, our local bike shop had given us the wrong spoke length. So I rode crippled for 5 miles until we entered the very tourist-oriented town of Steamboat Springs. The bike shop there repaired us in a jiffy and we were off again. The climb came next,6 miles out of Steamboat. So our muscles were tested. And, we found that after four weeks of biking, mountains aren't that bad after all. I made sure to take plenty of pictures while riding up because it helps break up the time. I don't stop to take the pictures though, I've worked on this coordinated riding-picture taking process. Finally, after about an hour of climbing, I reached the summit, or shat I thought appeared to be the top of the pass. It turns out that I was wrong. Rabbit Ears is a unique pass in that it is rolling at the top. What was my "summit," was five miles from the true peak. So I trudged on, taking only a slight break to eat an "otter pop" provided by the Carpenter family.
There at the pinnacle of this mountain, an hour and a half of climbing, I reached the continental divide which separates the watersheds. The pass had been conquered and
I rejoiced.
The rest of that days ride was primarily downhill. I took it easy, riding by myself in order to experience the vast wilderness of Colorado. Mountains surrounded me, closing me in. the grasses would sway in the wind, undulating their tendrils while wildflowers would bob their heads at the sun. Rocks loomed over the road, stating their formidable presence. I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the trip. Walter's stop came near the end. he gave us watermelon - what a treat for weary cyclists. Around 4:00 we arrived in Craig. My dad and I quick took a break inside a Wendy's for some shakes and fries. We had finally hit civilization again. Fast food restaurants were in abundance.

Today we rode from Craig to Winter Park. We're staying at the YMCA, otherwise known as Snow Mountain Ranch. During the ride, our shortest yet (34 miles) we passed through many small towns. Riders took breaks all over the place. Coffee and Breakfast shops were booming with business as 150 hungry cyclists rode by. Our route took us through Byer's Canyon. What an impressive sight. Tall cliffs made of jagged rock loomed on both sides of us. A stream flowed along our right, bubbling away. Also to add to the picturesque view was a railroad track with an occasional train or two. This canyon was the best part of the day.
My dad stopped for coffee, breakfast, and lunch. Eric and I stopped for nothing. We were eager to arrive at the ranch and explore the many activities offered to us. Our first adventure as finding a campsite. The ground here was pine cone ridden and stump laden. Bumps and weeds abounded all around. I found the perfect spot though. Only after removing about 30 pine cones.
After establishing our presence in camp and clearing the ground, Eric, Kevin, Peter, Denise, and I headed into the swimming pool at the ranch. What a sight! Water is so awesome when you're hot and sweaty. The pool filled up quickly with Sea to Sea cyclists. I think we scared the lifeguards with our numbers. All ended well though. No one had to be rescued. Alex did have a sore stomach after a few belly flops. and some others turned red from the sauna.
Now, everything is cooling down. I'm waiting for supper. Each night it's a mystery. hopefully tonight is something like lasagna. We'll see. I have heard that there is an ice cream social tonight. I think I'll go to it, gotta carbo load or whatever you know.

No comments: