Thursday, August 21, 2008

Chatham to London





Our tent was soaking wet this morning. Maybe it's the strong dew from the freezing cold of night up here in Canada, or perhaps its our heavy breathing after a long hard day of cycling. Either way, our tent was soaked. So what do you do, but simply pack it up for the morning and await with anticipation the time of reopening. Despite the soggy tent, our morning was a tad cold. Hot chocolate warmed me (Mark) up during breakfast and everything started to turn out all right. We got on the road by 8:00am to advance through this "Canadian wilderness" called Ontario. It's actually very much like the states with cornfields, soybeans, trees, and houses. The only thing different is that all the road signs read kilometers per hour. What in the world does that mean? And then there's this Tim Horton craze we, Americans, just can't understand. It's been a good experience so far though I'd have to say.
We had a headwind today, quite strong. I don't think Canada has tailwinds. I believe that Canada is simply all flat with the wind always blowing at you. That's okay though, because after seven weeks of cycling, I've started to develop some pretty strong muscles. I can plow through that wind. My dad is the one who really can though. he kept us going around 17-20mph the whole day. At first we (my dad and I) started out riding with Matt and Cheryl, two new riders who started in Grand Rapids. They stuck with us for about 35 miles until Walter's stop with his famous "Waltermelon."
Now, there was a "Sea to Sea Time Trial" going on today. You were supposed to sign up last night; we didn't. Well, the time trial started about 30 miles into the route, so what do we have to do, but "unofficially" do the time trial. We went fast, but not as fast as we could have. Actually, my dad was bursting with energy and I was worn out. I just didn't eat right this morning or something. Maybe it's just that I'm so full from all this food the Canadians are feeding us. They are amazing cooks.
AT mile 54 there was a church stop in Mt. Bridges. Here was spread before us a feast of roast beef, fruit, rice krispy treats, baked beans, etc. We ate like kings. The churches in Canada really know how to feed us. They have amazing hospitality which is just too good to be true. And, sorry to say since I'm American, I think that the Canadians have outdone the Americans so far. We'll see though once we get back into the US and into New Jersey. Anyways, the food was amazing at the church and then there were two stops later on in the route. The last one in London gave us watermelon and Canadian Dry Green Tea - pretty good stuff. Our welcome into London was tremendous. There were tons of people cheering us on with shouts and banners. People were out in their driveways cheering and waving us on. Riding through London reminded me of Grand Rapids. Canada really isn't that different I guess.
So, we arrived at the school. A crowd greeted us and so did the Bentums at their house near the school. We entered the parking lot and were immediately led to the food tables which were bursting and sagging under the weight of donuts, cookies, homemade bars, ice cream, chocolate/white milk, and pounds of fruit. I couldn't believe my eyes. We had just eaten lunch an hour or tow ago and now these Canadians were feeding us again. I think I'm going to burst! We still have supper tonight. It's going to be a barbecue. I don't know how long I can handle this, but somehow, I'll survive.

Our thanks to all the Canadians with their tremendous welcome and hospitality. We appreciate you for making us Americans feel like we're at home.

No comments: